The Patras 5G facility is operated by the Network and Management Architecture Group, of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, at the University of Patras in Greece. It is part of the 5G PPP facilities exosystem.
The Patras 5G facility is an exemplary Open Source 5G and IoT facility. This means that most of the installed components are offered as Open Source but there are also dedicated components and services to support 5G and IoT scenarios. Numerous partners have deployed their technologies in the Patras 5G facility, thus creating a unique 5G playground for KPI validation and support on future verticals. In a nutcel the facility provides:
- 5G standard-conformant components and Core Network infrastructure as extension of the FhG Open5GCore toolkit
- mmWave backhaul to link the access to the core network, and Fixed Wireless Access to provide broadband services to the facility
- Support for 5G NSA and SA senarios
- An E2E deployment of multiple customized-slices over the whole network – access, transport and core.
- MEC orchestration and mobility management features for the support of interactive mobile streaming edge services (in near future)
Summary of capabilities:
With its OSS, NFV and experimentation enabled services, like Openslice and Open Source MANO, Patras 5G enables E2E automated deployment of multiple customized-slices over the whole network – access, transport and core. This further includes the slicing of the IoT devices at the edge of the network. Patras 5G facility is equipped with a cloud platform, able to host core network components, as well as NFV and MEC deployments. The cloud platform offers a total computing power of 300 CPUs and 1TB of RAM and 50 TB of storage. 10GbE NICs DPDK enabled are also available. Patras 5G provides 5G standard-conformant components and Core Network infrastructure and Integration of 5G Core and 5G RAN with our Opensource based NFV platform. It also supports various flavors and installations of the 5G System, that are both NSA and SA depending on the scenarios that the customer:
- 5G Core and EPC solutions that are available and can be orchestrated in the facility: FhG Open5GCore, AMARISOFT EPC, SRS EPC, NextEPC
- 5G and 4G RAN: AMARISOFT 5G RAN (Classic boxes), 5G RAN open source radio (Lime, SRS)-700-800MHz, 3.5.-3.8GHz, 4G NB-IoT, LTE-M (FhG NB-IOT core) based on AMARISOFT, Various SDR equipment (ETTUS)
- UEs based on Limemicro’s SDR and SRS software, as well as commercial UEs: Mobile phones LG and Samsung, Huawei CPE, Various SDR equipment, a Drone for URLLC testing
- Monitoring is available through: Graphana, Prometheus,Netdata while OSM also configure with VNF telemetry support
- Patras 5G has mmWave backhaul to link the access to the core network, and Fixed Wireless Access to provide broadband services to the facility from various locations in the region of Patras and beyond.
- GEANT connectivity is also available
Vertical applications can access the Patras 5G Service Catalogue through the Patras Facility site portal: https://patras5g.eu. Vertical applications can self-manage and onboard their artifacts through our portal or access programmatically available services.
Various artifacts can be managed through the facility portal https://patras5g.eu via standardized TMForum OpenAPIs: Service Catalog, Service Order and Service Inventory, Partner Management and Users, Service Orchestration, VNFs/NSDs catalogue, NFVO endpoints via OSM NBI, Service and NFV Deployment requests.
For more information please visit: http://wiki.patras5g.eu/